My Headlines

Monday, December 17, 2007

Yahoo Messenger Vista- Quick Notes

by Don Burnett

If you are installing Yahoo! Messenger for Windows Vista and getting the message that ACTIVE MOVIE can't find component or can't find "ad2mpegin.dll" and also telling you that reinstalling the application might solve the problem, well it won't..  I got really frustrated by this, and hadn't been recommending people install this application. Until I realized Yahoo! was not the problem, Adobe was!

Here's the answer to the problem.. It seems you might get this message if you have an older version of Adobe Premiere Elements installed on your machine. If this is the case the answer is to simply copy the  ad2mpegin.dll and ad2mcmpgdec.dll files from your Adobe Premiere Elements folder over to the Yahoo Messenger for Vista Folder (if you are on Vista x64 beware of the Program Files and Program Files (x86) pathing). Then your problem will be solved and Yahoo! Messenger for Windows Vista will perform properly..

I figured out this fix by researching what installs ad2mpegin.dll and it's Adobe Premiere Elements. Yahoo! Messenger isn't the only program that has a problem with this.. Adobe mentions this on their site, though I doubt the Yahoo! team knows about this yet, considering Messenger for Vista is still in testing.. This is another reason I am highly considering removing my purchased copy of Premiere Elements from my machine. I rarely use it anyway, and it's been a constant source of problems with compatibility with other software. Somehow considering who makes this, I am not surprised  by this development at all

.

No comments: