My Headlines

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Another Big Win for Microsoft , Caligari is now part of Microsoft

by Don Burnett

Well I can't say that this news hasn't got me excited ever since I found out. Microsoft has purchased Caligari, makers of TrueSpace 3D modeling software. Why is this so exciting for me? The first real time 3D modeler I ever touched was Caligari 3D on the Amiga platform years ago (1985-86). At the time it was just a real-time 3D wireframe modeler, but I could see the advantages of creating 3D models in a real 3d environment, not a tri-view..  Now we have full real time and rendered output and a super modeling environment all in real time 3D.

TrueSpace (the current product) has grown an industry around it. I have had the pleasure of meeting Roman Ormandy, in the past, and know what a dynamic developer he is. He is a man of great vision for products now in the 3D space.  TrueSpace is used in industries ranging from broadcast animation to product design.

TrueSpace  and their great 3d Technology will become a product in the Virtual Earth stable of Windows Live. This also should mean some great advances for Web 3D. I could see it integrating well with WPF 3D and Expression Blend as well.

Congratulations to Roman and company, this is also another great win for Microsoft and brings an incredible infusion of talent to Windows Live and the Virtual Earth Community.

Besides Virtual Earth I (for one) would like to see TrueSpace become Microsoft Expression 3D.. Who knows, love to see that announced at Mix 08 (no I haven't heard anything officially).  It does fit in well with WPF 3D though.. We can only hope

1 comment:

Aaron L. Richards said...

This is awesome news - and got me to remembering a concept I had thought of, which after reading Don's post and the news on Caligari's website, I realized that Microsoft and Google were pursuing the same vision.

The 3D web will parallel the features and geography of the physical world - providing a virtual world, with "portals" into the physical world such as businesses, clubs, educational instituions and sporting events. Microsoft's purchase of Caligari and their activity on Virtual Earth make this possible. See my vision at http://richardsmedianet.blogspot.com/2008/02/virtuality.html.